Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Journeys

Last night Bill had another struggle with the hiccups.  Staff were able to help with these painful "spasms" enough for him to have a somewhat restful night.

Today Bill felt like something to eat, so he had a few bites of soup which actually smelled quite tasty for hospital food.  We helped him into his favorite gray shorts and bright orange t-shirt that shocked the nurse when she walked in to give him his medicine.

The boys helped Bill into a cool wheel chair where his whole body was well supported.  Then off they went to the kitchen/family room.  Bill joked, "This is it?"  It is a beautiful mini kitchen with a round table and chairs, two couches, a TV, and washroom for families to use at their convenience.  It is really very nice.

I have often been in the "kitchen" with other families who are in the same situation as our family.  For the last five days, the Higgs family have been with their Dad.  He had cancer years ago, but it resurfaced five months ago.  Mr. Higgs came into the Langley Hospice the day before Bill.  They are a family of three girls who are in their thirties.  Their parents are about ten years older than Bill and I, and are in their mid sixties.  So between their family and our family, the family room/kitchen has been pretty busy.  Then this morning I woke up and they were all gone.  Mr. Higgs had died just after midnight.  And their lives that were on hold for six days now continues.   I was looking out the window thinking of all the families who have passed through this hospice.  There are only 10 beds at the Langley Hospice but everyday we have been there someone has died.  And the only way we know someone has passed away is that an electric candle is lit for 24 hours to honor their time at the Hospice.  Their beds are remade and a new patient comes in to occupy their room.  And so now, we are meeting new families with new stories to tell and new journeys to endure.

It is time to go back to see Bill.  His sister Christine, Peter and I have been spending most nights there.  Two of us share a twin pull out bed while the other stays up.  Christine likes staying through the night, so I may try to convince Peter to stay home tonight to have a good nights rest (update, Pete is staying the night with Dad again). Ben may go back to work and visit Bill during evenings.  I have encouraged Mike to go back to Victoria for a day or two to catch up on some project work if he has to. I may even stay home tonight myself as my back is getting tired.   We all...I need to speak for myself...I do better with a good nights sleep and I can be at the hospice within ten minutes of being called.

So good night to all of you wonderful and caring people who we could not do without.   May the Lord bless you the way He has blessed us through you.  Bill's prayer is to go Home to his God and Saviour.  He feels he is stuck in the valley right now  Please pray for him to finish his walk Home.

Love Judy

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting us know yet again.
    I love the kitchen story haha...nice.
    Its so evident how precious the time you have with your hubby and Dad is, thanks for giving us a little window into that...I think it makes all of us think about how short our time here really is and to appreciate the ones we love.
    We are continuing to pray you through the valley Pastor Bill ,to be with our God and Saviour ...as this is your prayer.

    I never appreciated this hymn when I was young but now that I'm old :) when ever I sing it I think about all the saints in glory and can't wait to see everyone.

    By the sea of crystal saints in glory stand,
    myriads in number, drawn from every land.
    Robed in white apparel, washed in Jesus' blood,
    they now reign in heaven with the Lamb of God.
    3 "Unto God Almighty, sitting on the throne,
    ...

    Blessings in Jesus Name to you Versteeg family.

    All our love and prayers
    Marg Kunst and family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, thank you for updating the blog. What would we do without computers. That bright orange shirt, is pretty bright. I am not surprised that the nurse was shocked.I am sure it was a fun moment in the long days that you been experiencing. remember you need to take care of yourself as well. Thinking of you

    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Judy, Peter, Naomi, Ben and Mike
    Thanks for keeping the blog updated. As Bill make his final journey home to be with his Lord and Savior.

    Caroline received a CD form a co-worker at work, and this song on the CD which was written by Teresa Everts, when her mother was dying of cancer. This song reminded me of what you are going through, the song title is "The Promise of the Rainbow"


    Here are the words for that song:

    "Lift your eyes to heaven when life is filled with pain
    For the promise of the rainbow comesin the middle of the rain
    He says he'll never leave you to struggl on your own
    He'll always walk beside you, never leaving you alone
    CHORUS
    The promise of the rainbow is with us everyday
    The promise of the rainbow is hope along the way
    The promise of the rainbow is in the shelter of his wings
    The promise of the rainbow, He's coming back again

    Fix your eyes on Jesusas you walk this long,hard road
    Trust in him to guide you to ease your heavy load
    He knows about your suffering, understands your agony
    His love is all consumming, He'll meet your every need
    CHORUS"

    Jack and Caroline Plantinga

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Judy, Bill and family,
    Even though we are across the country, we are walking this journey with you in our thoughts and prayers. Thanks be to God that nothing can separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    Jack and Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pastor Bill, Judy, Peter, Naomi, Sean, Ben & Mike

    You will always be Pastor Bill to us. Thank you again for all you have taught us, even now. Your faith and hope continue to encourage us. We continue in prayer for each of you. What would we ever do withouth our faith when our journey is almost more than we can bear. May our loving heavenly Father carry you in his arms thru these difficult days. May I leave you with one of my favorite verses. "Find rest, O my soul, in God alone, my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people, pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge."
    May you experiene the strength and peace that only our Almighty God can give.

    Love John & Fran

    ReplyDelete
  6. I give thanks for all the blessings Pastor Bill has given me.
    Judy, Peter, Naomi, Sean, Ben & Mike
    My prayers and thoughts are with all of you through these times.
    Thanks for being so transparent with your journey.
    The Orange shirt, I like that!
    Today I was thinking about Pastor Bill in the apple dunk at youth camp, with the flour all stuck on his face. It still makes me laugh.
    So many good memories.
    Love John K

    ReplyDelete